PROBEUSERS Archives

August 2005

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
JEOL Probe Users List <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ronald RASCH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:38:12 +1000

Hi,
I have an old JEOL 8800 probe and a new JEOL 8200 probe.

The new probe runs a Sun Blade 2500 computer.

The old probe runs a HP Apollo 9000 series 400 computer
with HP-UX:7.05 operating system.
This old probe is about 15 years old and the hard disk has died
again. The old probe has two HD's, one with the OS and the other
with the EPMA software. Last time the EPMA disk died so I could
rebuild from tape. This time the OS has died and so I can't rebuild
from tape. Yes, I did make a spare OS HD, which I proudly produced,
but unfortunately this had become corrupted with age and
promptly fell over.

So does anybody know about replacing/upgrading this computer?
Going by the email below I can use a HP b2600. Do I need
new software from JEOL? Does this new b2600 computer connect
to the probe and tape drive with the old HP-IB connector plugs?
Any advantages to the c8000 computer?

Thanks for any help and advice.

BTW The old probe is film only and nobody has taken an image for years.
It was easier to go on an SEM and get a digital image.
The new probe, just arrived, has digital capture and everybody is taking
images again.

cheers,
Ron
(from australia)