PROBEUSERS Archives

August 2005

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:32:46 -0500
From:
Ellery Frahm <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
JEOL Probe Users List <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Ron,

First, my condolences on your dead drive.  Second, let me answer your
questions as best I can.  The workstation for my 8900 is a HP Apollo
series 745i running HP-UX 10.20 and one of the more recent JEOL
software versions (but not the newest).  It is 12 years old, so I
decided to do a preemptive replacement.  I'm having JEOL upgrade us
to a HP c8000, although I could have elected to go with the b2600.
Yes, both the c8000 and the b2600 still connect to the probe via HP-
IB PCI card and cable -- that is unchanged.  The b2600 can run both
HP-UX 10.20 and 11, whereas the c8000 only runs 11.  HP-UX 11 is
backwards compatible with 10.20, so the JEOL software can run (and
has at a few labs to my understanding).  Either the b2600 or c8000
will run a 8800/8900 just fine.  I chose the c8000 because it is
twice as fast, can have a DVD-R drive, can have more than one optical
drive at a time, has better ports and slots, does not rely on as much
proprietary hardware, and will be supported by HP longer.  But those
are mainly luxuries, and I made the decision before the b2600 was
marked down so drastically.  HP will stop selling the b2600 at the
end of the year, so everyone will have to buy a c8000 in a few months
or find a used b2600 or similar (which is actually not at all hard to
do, just you never really know what you're buying).  I'll let folks
know how our installation goes in a few weeks -- I think we might be
JEOL's guinea pig for a c8000.

Hope this helps,

Ellery

Ellery E. Frahm