AMSA-LIST October 2005

[AMSA] STAND with LGBT

Josh Lackner [log in to unmask]

Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:14:17 -0700

------=_Part_37826_5645601.1129497257132

AMSA-- this coming Tuesday we will recognize national coming out day
(actually Oct 11) by hosting a speaker, issuing a statement, distributing
"pledges," and making a public visual display of support for Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual, and Transgender rights in the context of health care by wearing
CUSTOM MADE AMSA T-SHIRTS that declare "ITS COOL TO BE GAY" (+ sweet
graphic). the slogan is campy, but it is important to make because it is
unfortunately controversial in this culture of ours. Confront homophobia by
making this visual statement. The Ts will be FREE because national AMSA
cares enough about this issue to foot the bill. email me with your size. WE
CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. WEAR the FREE T SHIRT. Email me back with your size
S, M, L, XL. thanks many times,
Josh Lackner
  AMSA STATEMENT
As medical students and faculty of the University of Minnesota we must
recognize the unique health needs of all members of our community. We must
also recognize that the LGBT community experiences serious disparities in
health care. Today, homophobia and prejudice are two reasons why these
disparities exist. Today, as future physicians, and current ones gather
together we all stand firmly committed to the ideals of raising awareness
and breaking down health barriers for the LGBT community.

For example:
Suicide is a leading cause of death, especially of questioning/gay male
adolescents. Nearly one third of all adolescent male suicide attempts are
linked to a crisis over sexual orientation.
Bias in health insurance and public entitlements, which routinely fails to
cover gay and lesbian partners routinely affects the access to health care
of members of the LGBT community.
The health risks of LGBT patients are a direct result of the societal
marginalization and stigmatization of sexual minorities.
These health concerns are very real, and affect the lives and the health of
our patients, friends, and neighbors.

Today, faculty and students stand together against the tide of
misinformation and homophobia by health care providers, teacher, students,
and the general public. In order to address these serious issues,
homophobia must be addressed within the medical community and today is the
first step in this process.

------=_Part_37826_5645601.1129497257132

actually Oct 11) by hosting a speaker, issuing a statement, distributing &q=
uot;pledges,&quot; and making a public visual&nbsp;display of support for L=
esbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender rights in the context of health care=
 by wearing CUSTOM MADE AMSA T-SHIRTS that declare &quot;ITS COOL TO BE GAY=
&quot; (+ sweet graphic). the slogan is campy, but it is important to make&=
nbsp;because it is unfortunately controversial in this culture of ours. Con=
front homophobia by making this visual statement. The Ts will be FREE becau=
se national AMSA cares enough about this issue to foot the bill. email me w=
ith your size.&nbsp;WE CAN &nbsp;MAKE&nbsp;A DIFFERENCE. WEAR the FREE T SH=
IRT. Email me back with your size S, M, L, XL. thanks many times,
p;We must<br>also recognize that the LGBT community experiences serious dis=
parities in=20
these<br>disparities exist. &nbsp;Today, as future physicians, and current =
ones gather<br>together we all stand firmly committed to the ideals of rais=
ing awareness
questioning/gay male<br>adolescents. &nbsp;Nearly one third of all adolesce=
nt male suicide attempts are=20
 and public entitlements, which routinely fails to<br>cover gay and lesbian=
 partners routinely affects the access to health care<br>of members of the =
LGBT community.=20
r>marginalization and stigmatization of sexual minorities.<br>These health =
concerns are very real, and affect the lives and the health of<br>our patie=
nts, friends, and neighbors.=20
isinformation and homophobia by health care providers, teacher, students,<b=
r>and the general public. &nbsp;In order to address these serious issues,<b=
r>
homophobia must be addressed within the medical community and today is the<=
br>first step in this process.</div>

------=_Part_37826_5645601.1129497257132--