AMSA-LIST Archives

November 2005

AMSA-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Josh Lackner [log in to unmask]
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:18:14 -0600
------=_Part_35218_7972876.1131592694870

1. Harambe!
2. Thanks for calling Bill Frist

1. Hey Everyone. On Friday SNMA/ AMSA and others are holding the first
planning meeting for a great multi-cultural event we put on during the
Spring called "Harambe." It a great chance to showcase talents in our own
and in the surrounding community and to celebrate the suprisingly many
cultures in our Twin Cities. Please come help us make this happen
(especially the 1st Years).
This is From Aimee Alexander, the SNMA President:

Harambe 2006 Interest Meeting
Yes, that's right, it's time to plan for this year's Harambe event!
If you're interested in culture, arts, music, dance, food, fun and
much more, join us! Friday, November 11th @12:15pm in
Mayo B646 we will discuss our plan of action for this annual
event that celebrates healing through the arts!

Questions/Concerns email me Aimee Alexander [log in to unmask]

2. Please Call Bill Frist to ask him to Fully Fund the Global Fund
to fight TB, AIDS, & malaria. I've talked to some of you who
did this and Great Work to those of you. Great Work to those of
you who will call. To those who will not call, I'm sure you have
a good reason, so Great Work to you to (in other realms). The Bill
Frist Call Info is Below. Today was a Nation-wide Call-in day, but
calling tonight
or tomorrow will do the trick too (just know that many people around
the country
working together on this, so we've got a better chance to have an impact.
Also, remember that Mr. Frist wants to be President so he ultimately cares
what we think).

*
HOW TO CALL BILL FRIST**
*
*WHAT TO SAY (You will not have/get to talk to Dr Frist):**
**"Senator Frist. This is (YOUR NAME). I'm a medical student. Please fully
fund the Global Fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria. We promised the
international community $840 million dollars this year. We need to fulfill
this commitment to help the people harmed by these epidemics. We CAN afford
this and we SHOULD do this." *

*
**For some perspective: In 2006, the cost of the tax cuts already enacted
since 2001, plus those proposed in this year's budget, would be $193
billion(without interest payments) (Source: Center on Budget and
Policy
Priorities).

*

*It is very easy. If you call during the evening, you can just leave a
message (be patient, the recording is a little long). Then please email me
at [log in to unmask] to let me know you've called. AMSA keeps track of calls
at http://www.amsa.org/global/aids/

***

*
**BILL FRIST'S PHONE NUMBERS. Washington: 202-224-3344
Tennessee Numbers: *
*Chattanooga**: 423-756-2757
Jackson:731-424-9655
*
*Knoxville: 865-637-4180
Memphis: 901-683-3610***
   *Article*
AIDS activists seek more funds

By Scott Teague
*
2005-10-30* 15:05:08

U.S. Sen. Bill Frist, R-Tenn., as the Senate majority leader, is the last
hope for millions of Africans suffering from HIV/AIDS, said AIDS activists
visiting The University of Tennessee Tuesday.

"He's our last hope (to increase contributions) to a fair share to where it
ought to be," said David Bryden, communications director for Global AIDS
Alliance, a nonprofit organization devoted to raising political and
financial capital to combat the global AIDS pandemic.

Bryden said the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria is in
jeopardy because of a lack of funding from the United States.

"(In 2005) all other donors have done their part, and now we're waiting on
the United States," he said.

The fund was established in 2001 at the urging of United Nations Secretary
General Kofi Annan. Its mission is to raise money to fight AIDS,
Tuberculosis and Malaria, three diseases that have ravaged the developing
world, according to the organization's Web site.

"The main reason we chose Tennessee is because of Sen. Frist," Bryden said.
"Sen. Frist is the number one decision maker on this."

Frist, he said, has been a champion of AIDS research and prevention in the
past and the Global AIDS Alliance is asking the public to participate in th=
*Nov. 9 National Call-In Day *to Frist to encourage his support for U.S.
contributions to the fund.

Traveling to the university with Bryden was Milly Katana, lobbying and
advocacy officer for Health Rights Action Group and experienced AIDS
activist. Katana contracted HIV when she was 18 years old as she was
finishing high school in Uganda.

Katana spoke about the fund's accomplishments so far.

"Since its inception, it has been able to attract $5 billion," she said.
"The fund is due to make a sixth series of donations later this year," she
said, but "It has run out of money."

Katana said the current lack of funding is a result of not enough emphasis
on AIDS treatment and prevention in developing countries.

"It's a matter of priority setting," she said. From her perspective, Katana
said, AIDS is the greatest challenge facing developing countries today.

"HIV is a crisis that is threatening Africa," she said, but warned that Asi=
and Europe will be the next hotspots of the AIDS epidemic.

Bryden said that the U.S. promised to contribute one-third of the fund's
budget if the rest of the donor nations contributed the remaining two-third=
of it. However, the U.S. seems to be begging off the promise, he said.

Katana said that she hoped to raise awareness of AIDS in the college and
Knoxville community.

"The most important thing is to raise the profile of HIV/AIDS in Africa,"
she said.

There is hope, she said, for AIDS patients living in Africa and around the
world.

"It's not all grim, we can do something to help, to prevent it

*HOW TO CALL BILL FRIST*

*

WHAT TO SAY (NOTE- YOU WILL ONLY GET TO LEAVE A MESSAGE): ***

*
[...]

1. Harambe!<br>
2. Thanks for calling Bill Frist<br>
1. Hey Everyone. On Friday SNMA/ AMSA and others are holding the first
planning meeting for a great multi-cultural event we put on during the
Spring called &quot;Harambe.&quot; It a great chance to showcase talents in=
 our
own and in the surrounding community and to celebrate the suprisingly
many cultures in our Twin Cities. Please come help us make this happen
(especially the 1st Years).<br>
This is From Aimee Alexander, the SNMA President:<br>
<pre><span style=3D"font-size: 13.5pt; font-family: &quot;Times New Roman&q=
uot;;">Harambe 2006 Interest Meeting<br>Yes, that's right, it's time to pla=
n for this year's Harambe event!<br>If you're interested in culture, arts, =
music, dance, food, fun and=20
will discuss our plan of action for this annual <br>event that celebrates h=
ncerns email me Aimee Alexander=20
se Call Bill Frist to ask him to Fully Fund the Global Fund<br>to fight TB,=
 AIDS, &amp; malaria. I've talked to some of you who<br>did this and Great =
Work to those of you. Great Work to those of
ood reason, so Great Work to you to (in other realms). The Bill <br>Frist C=
all Info is Below. Today was a Nation-wide Call-in day, but calling tonight
e country <br>working together on this, so we've got a better chance to hav=
e an impact. <br>Also, remember that Mr. Frist wants to be President so he =
ultimately cares=20
n&quot;;"></span></pre>
<b><span style=3D"font-size: 28pt; font-family: Arial;"><span style=3D"font=
-weight: bold;"><br>
">&quot;Senator
Frist. This is (YOUR NAME). I'm a medical student. Please fully fund
the Global Fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria. We promised the
international community <u>$840 million</u> dollars this year. We need to f=
ulfill this
commitment to help the people harmed by these epidemics. We CAN afford
font-size: 14pt; font-family: Arial;">For
some perspective: In 2006, the cost of the tax cuts already enacted
since 2001, plus those proposed in this year's budget, would be <u>$193 bil=
lion</u> (without interest payments) (Source: Center on Budget and Policy P=
during the evening, you can just leave a message (be patient, the
recording is a little long). Then please email me at <span style=3D"color: =
black;"><a href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"re=
turn top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
></a></span> to let me know you've called. AMSA keeps track of calls at <a =
href=3D"http://www.amsa.org/global/aids/" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"retu=
rn top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">

font-size: 20pt; font-family: Arial;">BILL FRIST'S PHONE NUMBERS. Washingto=
n: 202-224-3344<br>Tennessee Numbers: <span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
757<br>Jackson:731-424-9655&nbsp;<span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>

"font-size: 20pt; font-family: Arial;"></span></b>
pan>&nbsp;</div>
pan>&nbsp;</div>
pan>&nbsp;</div>
Frist</span>, R-Tenn., as the Senate majority leader, is the last<br>hope f=
or millions of Africans suffering from HIV/AIDS, said AIDS activists<br>vis=
iting The University of Tennessee Tuesday. <br><br>&quot;He's our last hope=
 (to increase contributions) to a fair share to where it
l AIDS<br>Alliance, a nonprofit organization devoted to raising political a=
aid the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria is in
uot;(In 2005) all other donors have done their part, and now we're waiting =
2001 at the urging of United Nations Secretary
erculosis and Malaria, three diseases that have ravaged the developing<br>w=
orld, according to the organization's Web site.<br><br>&quot;The main reaso=
n we chose=20
t;Sen. <span>Frist</span> is the number one decision maker on this.&quot;<b=
 prevention in the
Traveling to the university with Bryden was Milly Katana, lobbying and<br>a=
dvocacy officer for Health Rights Action Group and experienced AIDS<br>acti=
vist. Katana contracted HIV when she was 18 years old as she was<br>finishi=
ng high school in=20
>&quot;Since its inception, it has been able to attract $5 billion,&quot; s=
he said.<br>&quot;The fund is due to make a sixth series of donations later=
 this year,&quot; she
urrent lack of funding is a result of not enough emphasis<br>on AIDS treatm=
ent and prevention in developing countries. <br><br>&quot;It's a matter of =
priority setting,&quot; she said. From her perspective, Katana
ut warned that Asia<br>and Europe will be the next hotspots of the AIDS epi=
demic.
und's<br>budget if the rest of the donor nations contributed the remaining =
two-thirds<br>of it. However, the U.S. seems to be begging off the promise,=
 he said.
hope, she said, for AIDS patients living in=20
omething to help, to prevent it</span></div>
font-size: 16pt; font-family: Arial;">&quot;Senator
Frist. This is (YOUR NAME). I'm a medical student. Please fully fund
the Global Fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria. We promised the
international community <u>$840 million</u> dollars this year. We need to f=
ulfill this
commitment to help the people harmed by these epidemics. We CAN afford
font-size: 14pt; font-family: Arial;">For
some perspective: In 2006, the cost of the tax cuts already enacted
since 2001, plus those proposed in this year's budget, would be <u>$193 bil=
lion</u> (without interest payments) (Source: Center on Budget and Policy P=
during the evening, you can just leave a message (be patient, the
recording is a little long). Then please email me at <span style=3D"color: =
black;"><a href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"re=
turn top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
></a></span> to let me know you've called. AMSA keeps track of calls at <a =
href=3D"http://www.amsa.org/global/aids/" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"retu=
rn top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">

font-size: 20pt; font-family: Arial;">BILL FRIST'S PHONE NUMBERS. Washingto=
n: 202-224-3344<br>Tennessee Numbers: <span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
7<br>Jackson: 731-424-9655 <span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Frist</span>, R-Tenn., as the Senate majority leader, is the last<br>hope f=
or millions of Africans suffering from HIV/AIDS, said AIDS activists<br>vis=
iting The University of Tennessee Tuesday. <br><br>&quot;He's our last hope=
 (to increase contributions) to a fair share to where it
l AIDS<br>Alliance, a nonprofit organization devoted to raising political a=
aid the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria is in
uot;(In 2005) all other donors have done their part, and now we're waiting =
2001 at the urging of United Nations Secretary
erculosis and Malaria, three diseases that have ravaged the developing<br>w=
orld, according to the organization's Web site.<br><br>&quot;The main reaso=
n we chose=20
t;Sen. <span>Frist</span> is the number one decision maker on this.&quot;<b=
 prevention in the
Traveling to the university with Bryden was Milly Katana, lobbying and<br>a=
dvocacy officer for Health Rights Action Group and experienced AIDS<br>acti=
vist. Katana contracted HIV when she was 18 years old as she was<br>finishi=
ng high school in=20
>&quot;Since its inception, it has been able to attract $5 billion,&quot; s=
he said.<br>&quot;The fund is due to make a sixth series of donations later=
 this year,&quot; she
urrent lack of funding is a result of not enough emphasis<br>on AIDS treatm=
ent and prevention in developing countries. <br><br>&quot;It's a matter of =
priority setting,&quot; she said. From her perspective, Katana
ut warned that Asia<br>and Europe will be the next hotspots of the AIDS epi=
demic.
und's<br>budget if the rest of the donor nations contributed the remaining =
two-thirds<br>of it. However, the U.S. seems to be begging off the promise,=
 he said.
hope, she said, for AIDS patients living in=20
omething to help, to prevent it</span></p>

------=_Part_35218_7972876.1131592694870--