PROBEUSERS Archives

August 2006

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
John Fournelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:53:06 -0500

We have acquired a nice new SEM (W filament, variable pressure
Hitachi S3400) whose function principally is quality CL imaging
(Gatan PanaCL/F), and EBSD (HKL) work.

We have a question for labs out there with more EBSD experience under
their belts than we do: have you determined an optimal keV setting,
for any/all of your work? (we are doing geological work)

It seems to me that you don't want to go to higher keV than necessary
as the scattering will increase (though the effective backscattered,
oops forescattered electron signals that are relevant may only be
those from the first events near the surface, suggested by Prior
[1999]) and the spatial resolution will decrease (though I am not
convinced about this) -- or does going to high keV improve the signal
generated on the phosphor screen and thus improve the Kukchi line
discrimination?  Clearly having significant counts (=high enough
current) is probably the most important factor, but given that is not
a problem, would say 30 keV yield better results vs 15 keV?

thanks.

John
--
John Fournelle, Ph.D.	       office: (608) 262-7964   cell: (608) 438-7480
Cameron Electron Microprobe Lab   lab: (608) 265-4798

"The first rule of all intelligent tinkering is to save every cog and
wheel." --  Aldo Leopold

public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."    --   Richard P.
Feynman