CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2006

Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:04:16 -0500
From:
Philip Oshel <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

Manuela,

One place to start is  http://www.magma.ca/~scimat/

"Foods under the Microscope", done by a M. Kaláb,
retired from Agriculture Canada, I believe. I
suspect their are other such web sites.
I have used mainly SEM to do some foods-related
microscopy, SEM of cereal starch grains and
cheese, but not much confocal. Should be
interesting.

Phil

Dear all
I'm a food technologist and my field of research
is Cereal Science and Technology. In the recent
years I've approached to Scanning Electron
Microscopy and I've found it very fascinating and
really useful to my research. I'd like to go in
depth with the knowledge of my materials by using
the Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy: I had
just a short "meeting" with it, but it was enough
to catch me!!! Well, in my research I deal with
kernels, flours and baking processes and I'd like
to better study, also from a microstuctural point
of view, these materials and the interaction
between protein-starch-fiber-lipids when the
flour is mixed to give dough ... but I absolutely
ignore how to treat them (sample preparation,
specific fluorescent labels...)  for the CLSM
observation. Please, would be so kind to give me
any help?
Many thanks in advance,
Manuela

Dr. Manuela Mariotti
DiSTAM - Food Technology
University of Milan
via G. Celoria, 2
20133 Milan, Italy
phone: +39.0250316625
fax: +39. 0250316632
e-mail: <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

                  Dott. Umberto Fascio
                           C.I.M.A.
Centro Interdipartimentale Microscopia Avanzata
               Via Celoria 26 - 20133 Milano
tel: +39 0250314807/14876
fax:+39 0250314802

--