CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:07:36 -0500
7bit
From:
Dale Callaham <[log in to unmask]>

I am pasting in a script file from an old Photometrics AT200 system that
shows the steps they used for the calculation. You will have to read
between the lines a bit - I added some comments as I was trying to
follow it once. Hope this is useful to someone....

Dale

* Photometrics AT200 system   ==========

echo on

* Camera noise is measured using
*   image1 = Bias_1 - Bias_2
*   noise = stddev_1 * gain * sqrt(2.0) / 2.0
*
echo off
* do it quietly

icreate bias1 ccd
* allocates the memory and creates window for image

icreate bias2 ccd
* allocates the memory and creates window for image

ci bias2
* make bias2 be the current image
bias
* gets a bias (exp time = 0) readout of camera

ci bias1
bias

i- bias2
* subtracts bias2 from the current image (bias1)
* bias1 = bias1 - bias2

statistics -q
* computes statistics ("quietly", including std dev) of ci

noise
* calculates the noise: noise = stddev_1 * gain * sqrt(2.0) / 2.0

iremove bias1
iremove bias2
* ==============

====================Notes===============================
AT200 Camera Gain
The Gain setting determines the amplification of the digital signal
generated by charge on the CCD.  The camera electronics unit converts
electrons on the CCD into digital intensity levels according to a
hardware-set base gain value. The base gain value is multiplied by a
factor determined by the software gain. If the gain value is 0, the
system will operate with no additional gain, currently, any positive
gain value will increase the signal generated by each electron by a
factor of four.  This can be used to improve the definition of spectral
images, but the A/D converter will reach saturation sooner, effectively
decreasing the functional range of the CCD.