CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
"S. Brunet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:49:01 -0600

Hello:

If you choose a waveplate or a rotator, ask the manufacturer about wavelength
range and power threshold.  In either case, the travel path through the optic
is a lot less than a Faraday Isolator.  The double Fresnel-Rhomb is ONE KIND of
rotator with 'broad' wavelength range, but the travel through the optical
material is big.  Make sure you don't have a front reflection from the optic (I
do not know if they can AR coat these optics).

I any case, if your laser is tunable... this may be a bigger obstacle.  You do
not want to realign for each wavelength.  I would chase down the main source of
reflection first.  Anyone else had to solve this problem?  My beam path is so
big, it is not a problem.

CVI tends to give good advice on their optics and knows about short pulsed
lasers.  No financial interest.  I do not know if the merge/purchase of Melles
Griot changes things.  Plenty of suppliers for these types of parts though and
any of them should be helpful.

Good luck!
Sophie
Sophie M. K. Brunet, Ph. D.
Research Officer
Optical Spectroscopy, Laser Systems and Applications
Chemistry 112 sessional lecturer
306-966-1719 (office)   306-966-1702 (fax)
Saskatchewan Structural Sciences Centre
University of Saskatchewan
Thorvaldson Bldg.
110 Science Place