PROBEUSERS Archives

June 2008

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Eric Essene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:40:37 -0400

Ellery,
      Did you standardize with the same beam size as was used on the
unknown glasses?  I do not like using a 30 micron beam because X-rays
generated outside the area that is actually analyzed by the detector
can enter the analytical area and fluoresce additional X-rays that are
not accounted for in the F correction.  I would try a 10 micron beam
and run the analyses on the unknowns at 3 nA.
      When you estimated H2O by difference from 100 %, did you include
the H2O in the ZAF program or did the program reduce the data not
"knowing" about the extra H2O?  The latter could lead to errors
particularly in Na-Si corrections due to the missing O and the
somewhat different average atomic number (depending in part on whether
the program calculates the Z with missing elements as having an atomic
number of zero).
      Analysis of O is dependent on the C thickness because of the
strong absorption of O Ka by C.  If possible, the standards and
unknowns should be coated together.  The problem could be tested in
part by doubling the coating and repeating the analysis for O.
       As I understand it, the O analysis technique has been able to
work on rhyolite glasses.  Have other andesitic glasses given
reasonable results for H2O in the past?  I wonder if this particular
sample is not adequately grounded.  What does the beam current and the
sample current look like during the analysis, and is the sample
current similar to that on andesite standards?
      I have learned from Youxue Zhang and his students here over the
years that FTIR on real andesitic glasses is very challenging because
of the large background induced by Fe.  I wonder if there could be
serious errors in the FTIR data.
eric