CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:37:37 -0500
From:
Larry Tague <[log in to unmask]>

Christophe,

This is very true, and there are storage DBs for images that are
starting to evolve, that if standardized, could be part of the solution
to some of these problems, i.e., the Open Microscopy Environment
(http://www.openmicroscopy.org/).  I am not sure that journals will want
to take on the responsibility of data storage (maybe for the right
publication price). However, as in the past, it should probably be the
universities that shoulder the responsibility of being the "keepers of
the data" linked to appropriate publications, and not just in the labs.
This could be a library function of sorts possibly associated with the
storage and distribution of electronic thesis and dissertations (private
research... forgive me, I am viewing this from a university
perspective), and for private research... maybe they could contract with
universities for storage of raw data once the patent pending questions
have been laid to rest. Meta data in the form of raw digital information
is very important because meta data research based on a "modern" look at
old information holds great promise. The saying "hind sight is 20 20"
takes on real meaning in view of meta data analysis. Even if a data set
is completely acceptable today to peer review and detailed analysis does
not mean it will always be that way, or that with new ways of analysis,
additional future information can be realized. My 2 cents worth...

Larry

--
Larry Tague
Co-Investigator BBHSL*

*BBHSL "Building Bridges to Health Science Literacy" URL: http://bbhsl.mecca.org, a Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA). Supported by the National Center of Research Resources (NCRR) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
**MECCA (Memphis Educational Computer Connectivity Alliance)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication may contain protected health information, or other legally privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual responsible for delivering the email to the recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender, disregard the foregoing message, and delete the message. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. IMPORTANT NOTE: Confidential health   information is protected by state and federal law, including, but not limited to, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and related regulations.