MOU-RBA Archives

November 2008

From:
Bruce Fall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Fall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:38:25 -0700
1st-winter GBBG watched by Denny and Barb Martin and me from
4:00-4:45 p.m., Mississippi River, South St. Paul, exit Bryant Ave.
off Concord. It was in the vicinity of the sunken barge. It and about
500 Ring-billed Gulls appeared to be spending the night there and it
may still be present tomorrow morning. As Karl Bardon reported
yesterday there were several thousand gulls (90% Ring-bills) on the
river; most had left by 4:30, heading west. Also seen earlier at the
same spot, with Paul Budde, was a 1st-winter Lesser Black-backed
Gull, at least 3 adult and 2 1st-winter Thayer's Gulls, and 2 adult
Glaucous Gulls. Earlier (2 p.m.), Paul and I watched an adult gull on
the river at Hardman/Grand Ave that had a wing pattern in flight and
at rest of a Kumlien's Iceland Gull (with dark gray apparently
restricted to the outer 3 primaries), but on the water it was
essentially the same size, bulk, and structure (including bill shape)
as nearby Herring Gulls, and it had a dark eye.

White-winged Crossbills (Scott Co.): at least 20, Wilkie Unit of MN
Valley NWR (main entrance off Co. 101 about 1/2 mi. W of hwy 169).
The crossbills were feeding in the spruce grove 1/4 mi. E of the main
parking area. They are hard to hear over the traffic on nearby 101. I
found them at 9 a.m. and at least 7 were still present at 11:30.

Bruce A. Fall
Minneapolis