MOU-RBA Archives

November 2008

From:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:30:16 -0700
Yesterday morning Karl Bardon and I watched the gulls at Canal Park. Boy was
that ever fantastic! I got to see my first ICELAND GULL (an immature). I'm
learning so much about gulls, and I'm excited to see what the winter will
bring. There was an adult Great-black Backed Gull that eventually flew into
the flock of Herring Gulls. Up until yesterday I had never seen an adult
Great BB Gull (only a 1st year Great BB Gull), and wow are the adults
striking. It called a few times too, and their 'horse-like' calls are fairly
distinct amongst the Herring Gulls' calls. Several adult Thayer's Gulls were
seen as well. One of the first birds located yesterday morning was a
Red-necked Grebe, which was seen just off the end of the lighthouse. A few
Common Goldeneyes and Mallards flew by throughout the morning. Pictures will
be up later (of the Iceland, Great BB Gull, and Thayer's Gulls)... I'm
preparing some Thanksgiving stuff now :)

On my drive home today, I counted 11 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 unidentified
buteos, and a Pileated Woodpecker...

Good birding, and have a wonderful thanksgiving everyone,

Erik Bruhnke
Currently Waukesha, WI
www.pbase.com/birdfedr