MOU-RBA Archives

November 2008

From:
shawn conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
shawn conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:52:15 -0700
I decided to check out a few spots in Cass County this morning.  The birdin=
g was pretty slow=2C but there were a few highlights:
=20
- A beautiful=2C lone Hoary Redpoll flew up out of a plowed field (I immedi=
ately assumed Snow Bunting) and flew overhead.  A couple of pishes got it t=
o sit in a small balsam poplar near where I was standing.  After about a mi=
nute=2C it was joined by a couple of Common Redpolls.  This observation occ=
urred along the access road to Goose Lake of the Mud-Goose WMA.  The road i=
s straight across 65 from 52. =20
=20
- A Golden-crowned Kinglet was hanging out with a flock of chickadees and n=
uthatches in a conifer bog along CR 158=2C 1.3 miles south of CR 3.
=20
- An unusual sighting was the lone Rusty Blackbird that popped out of the w=
eeds along gravel 139 in the Mud-Goose WMA=2C just south of the dam.  I tho=
ught it must be injured=2C but it energetically flew away when I approached=
.
=20
- At the dam=2C most water was frozen.  The only waterfowl I found were 2 R=
ing-necked Ducks and a Canada Goose that appeared injured. =20
=20
- Small flocks of White-winged Crossbills were present pretty much anywhere=
 I exited the vehicle near spruces. =20
=20
- A Rough-legged Hawk was perched in a tree at the corner of CR 3 and 139.
=20
- A Pileated Woodpecker and 2 Ruffed Grouse were a funny sight foraging tog=
ether in a small crabapple tree north of Spruce Street in Remer.
=20
Almost all water is frozen in Cass and Itasca Counties.  Even the spots I h=
ave been to on Leech and Winnie were frozen too far out to see.  A few spot=
s along the Mississippi=2C Prairie=2C and Leech Rivers are open=2C and Trou=
t Lake near my home in Bovey is open.  That's pretty much it.  Shawn Conrad=
=20
http://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/ =20
Color coding for safety: Windows Live Hotmail alerts you to suspicious emai=
l.
http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_safe=
ty_112008 =