MOU-RBA Archives

December 2008

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:09:22 -0700
Hi everyone!
  Gene Bauer and I took part in the Red Wing CBC today and found a Varied Thrush this morning, around 11 o'clock along Wabasha C.R. 5. (Not to be confused with Goodhue C.R. 5, of which we'll get to in a minute...). To get there, take CR 63 south out of Lake City and look for CR 5 to the right. Take this road until the pavement turns to gravel, the bird was 1/10th of a mile past this point. (We also had Eastern Bluebirds on this road but a couple miles further east). After meeting in Frontenac at noon, several birders went looking for the thrush with no success from what I heard. I hope further attempts turn it up somewhere!

  In the afternoon, this time on Goodhue C.R. 5, which is also west (but further north than the other CR 5...are you confused yet?) of Lake City, Gene and I found a Golden Eagle. This was where CR 5 and 343rd Ave. intersects. We observed the bird hunting, and later being harassed by a Red-tailed Hawk around 2:30 pm. I believe this bird was between a juvenile and a second year bird. There wasn't much white coloration under the wings as a typical juvenile has, but there was more white in the tail above the terminal band than a 2nd year bird has, according to Sibley. The golden color in the nape of the neck was very striking in the sunshine!

  I look forward to seeing the final numbers from the count! It sounds like lots of good stuff was found today!

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey
Faribault, MN