MOU-RBA Archives

December 2008

From:
Jim Mattsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Mattsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 19:27:49 -0700
Dec. 3,  4:30-5:00pm
Black Dog Lake, east of power plant causeway

Among ~ 1,500+ gulls tonight I found:

Iceland Gull - 1st cycle Kumlien's, light brownish with finely checkered pattern throughout wing coverts, scapulars and mantle. Primaries dusky centers with pale borders. Size between HERG and RBGU. All black bill and dark eye. At one point within inches of GBBG below.

Great-black Backed - 1st cycle, but different than the one I reported Nov. 20...somewhat more dusky overall, especially on the face and forecrown, but all black thick bill, checkered coverts and mantle, and much larger (20%) than nearby HERGs. This makes 3 different GBBGs reported thus far in the metro this season. Have lousy photo that shows size difference.

Glaucous Gull (3) - One Adult, one 1st cycle (dark, juvenile-type), one probable 2nd cycle (quite white but lighting very low and eye color not discernable).

Thayer's Gull - At least 3 1st cycle; saw 4 adults but probably several more present as I didn't spend much time looking for this species in the waning light.

Jim