MOU-RBA Archives

January 2009

From:
Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:15:02 -0700
Without repeating sightings recently reported by others, the Minn
Birding Weekends group saw a few things of note yesterday, January 11:

- A male American Three-toed Woodpecker was along the W side of
McDavitt Rd, 3.1 mi N of Sax Rd. Look for an improvised foot path
through the snow into the woods on the W side of the road; there are
also 2-3 paths on the E side of the road here. This is presumably the
same individual seen in this area previously, although I'm not aware
anyone has reported it for several days. As others have reported,
Black-backed Woodpeckers are still being seen here: we saw a female
yesterday and a male on January 10, both on the E side of McDavitt.

- Two N Hawk Owls were seen along McDavitt Rd, both ~2 mi N of Sax Rd,
where only one had been reported previously. It is possible the second
individual is the one which has been reported along Admiral Rd, 1 mile
E of here.

- We relocated a male Hoary Redpoll on Park Point in Duluth near 38th
Street among a small flock of Common Redpolls, presumably the same
bird we had seen here on January 10. This was an obvious and classic
Hoary, so the ID was straightforward and not as difficult as is so
often the case with this species.

We did not see or look for the male Barrow's Goldeneye we saw on the
10th on L Superior at 21st Ave E. Kim Eckert