MOU-RBA Archives

January 2009

From:
Frank Berdan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Berdan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:06:43 -0700
Shawn, thanks for the useful summary, from one of those who'd asked.  Your advice was unintentionally validated yesterday afternoon at 3:30.

Kathi was passing the window by our feeders when a very bulky bird flew away.  It landed on the other end of the lot near our compost heap, which is full of last summer's kitchen scraps.  Both feeders and compost heap are on south-facing slopes among conifers along the lakeshore.

We spied the small owl from another window, perched only about 8 feet above the ground on a 1" deciduous limb, staring diligently at the compost heap.  When the bird heard me approach from a better vantage point on the roadside, its head rotated to check me out, providing good views of head and face field marks.

Pretty good yard bird.  Haven't seen it since.

Thanks, Shawn, for getting back to us.

Frank & Kathi Berdan, Duluth