MOU-RBA Archives

January 2009

From:
shawn conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
shawn conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:06:34 -0700
After posting my request for advice on finding Boreal Owls, I received a few requests to post any useful information I received.  I only received a handful of replies, but there was some consistency (and one attached photo of a handsome Boreal Owl that makes me want to go out and find one even more).

A couple of people suggested that the best thing to do is spend as much time in the lowland conifers (especially if vole activitiy is apparent) as possible until one turns up. Several suggested watching around bird feeders when snow and temperature conditions become difficult. All times of day were suggested as best! I have pasted a portion of one helpful response I received because it referred to actual tree location:

Boreal Owls tend to like south-facing slopes or exposures (like road cutsand forest edges). They often sit and apparently sun themselves on theoutside of conifers, often in the early afternoon, and usually from abouteye-level up to 20 feet (but not usually higher). Some of this may be wherethey're easiest to find, rather than where they spend most of their time. Iimagine they roost deep in cover like Saw-whet Owls much of the time, butit'd be real tough to find one doing that.
I appreciate all the replies I received. Looks like it's worth trying a little of all of the above for this elusive species!
Shawn Conrad
http://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/
Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_012009