MOU-RBA Archives

January 2009

From:
KCTEPO00 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 20:56:36 -0700
Today around 10:30 am I was amazed to see not one but two Gyrfalcon just west of Voyageur's National Park.  I spotted the birds west of the fire tower along (Koochiching) County Road 11, about 10+ miles east of International Falls.  As I saw the first of the two approach head on from the west, my first assumption of a moderately large sized bird was that it was a Raven.  As it got closer I could tell it was a raptor, and I thought it might be a Goshawk.  Then it got even closer, to where I was able to get decent detail with my binoculars; its narrower, sharply pointed wings definitely revealed it was a falcon, albeit a very large one; its color was brown above and lighter below, with no apparent facial "mask" or heavy barring below to indicate a Peregrine.  Its flight was steady and wingbeats were slow and regular (as opposed to a flap-flap-glide of a Goshawk), but its speed was fast--before I knew it, a second identical-appearing bird had caught up with it while I was focused on the first one, and together they were out of sight to the north into Canada.

Kyle TePoel
Ely, MN