MOU-RBA February 2009

[mou-net] Hoary Redpoll (Anoka County)

Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:37:26 -0700

? Hello all,

???????? Well I have been In the Caribean This past week which I added some new birds to my life list.? But the best treat was this morning (2-2-09)I woke up and before heading off to work I looked out to the normal flock of Common Redpolls and American Goldfinches with a mixed in pine siskin or house finch here or there.? My flock has been running 25-35 Common Redpolls however today there were over 50 and smack dab in the middle of them was a Hoary Redpoll.? It is the first I have ever seen (Totally cool!!!) and I thought It would have been tougher to tell apart but when you look down at 50 Redpoll and one is Frosty White and sticks out like a sore thumb you know there is something different.?

????????? Now how long has it been around?? I don't because I have been gone a week and I work which means I am gone from 8am to 6pm (when it is daylight). As the mornings get earlier I plan on watching birds before I go to work.? This is the year for Birds from the North as I have already seen Black- Backed Woodpeckers and White-Winged Crossbills in Anoka County.?

???????? I do have a video of it that I took with my camera, I then took pictures and will see if they turned out.? I was about to snap a few nice pictures and my wife came out of the pole barn with some hay for the horses and off went the birds.? Half tempted to call in sick to work and wait for the Hoary to retured my wife quickly shot down that idea.

???????? I will check tomorrow morning with camera in hand to see about getting that perfect shot and I'll let everyone know.

Good Birding To All!
Chris Brown
Nowthen (Anoka County)

Chris Brown