Re: [mou-net] BLACK SCOTER-ISANTI CTY

Craig <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:41:29 -0600

My wife and I looked for the Scoter tonight without success.  There were
only 3 Lesser Scaup and few loons and a dozen or so gulls on the lake so I
would assume they have all moved on.
We also decide to check Fish Lake here in Kanabec county on our way home and
there were easily several thousand gulls roosting on the lake tonight and
there was one gull in particular that caught my eye.  A very large gull that
looked to stand out from all the rest of the gulls.  Great Black Backed gull
is what I was thinking but, by no means am I at all positive that's what it
is because the viewing conditions were horrible with barely any light left.
I'm going to try and get back out there right away in the morning before the
gulls take off and hopefully relocated it and make a positive ID.  There
were also about 50 Pelicans on the lake as well.

Craig Menze
Mora Kanabec Co
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis and Barbara Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2009 7:25 PM
Subject: [mou-net] BLACK SCOTER-ISANTI CTY

Barb and I found a Black Scoter on Lory Lake in northwestern Isanti County
about 3:30 PM this afternoon.  This is probably a first winter male molting
into adult plumage.  The body was not intensely black but rather a deep
black brown, while the yellow knob on the bill was not as bright yellow as
we have seen on birds on Lake Superior.  But yellow enough that the bird was
rather obvious in the flock of Lesser Scaup that it was hanging around with.

Seen across the lake from the public access on the west side of the lake.
To get to Lory Lake go east on Cty Road 4 from State Highway 47 about 2
miles.  Then north about 1 mile to 416th.  Then east till the road runs down
hill into the public access.

Also present was a first winter molting into second summer Thayer's Gull.
Originally there were some 1000 gulls in the area of the lake but by the
time we left that was down to 30 or so including the Thayer's.  Gulls are
migrating through this area in large numbers over the past few days.  The
Glaucous was still present at the Mora landfill this noon.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN