CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2009

Sender:
From:
Daniel James White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 10:30:21 +0200
Begin forwarded message:

> Date:    Wed, 27 May 2009 08:15:29 -0500
> From:    Howard Berg <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: GFP/YFP colocalization?
>
> Hi all:
>
> A paper for ''The Plant Cell'' (Raffaele et al.) just came online and
> several figures are presented showing colocalization of GFP and YFP-
> tagged proteins.  I am not surprised that they colocalized because I
> expect there would be a severe bleedthrough for these two.  Am I
> missing something here or have they presented an artifact?  Their
> methods state that they used sequential acquisition (on a Leica TCS
> SP2).
>
> Howard

If one looks at the 2D histogram  / scatter plot / fluorogram of the
2 channels compared to each other

(see colocalisation threshold or manders coefficient plugins for image
J,
or do it in a few clicks in BioImageXD)

then you can see bleed through / cross talk immediately by the
data not following the x and or y axes, but having a gradient offset,
(means where ever you see so much of one dye, you see a proportional
amount of the other dye... which hints at
the probelm of bleed  through etc.

See slide 33 and surropunds of
https://info.med.tu-dresden.de/MTZimaging/images/2/25/White_QuantitativeColocAnalysis0408a.pdf

cheers
Dan
Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Senior Microscopist / Image Visualisation, Processing and Analysis
Light Microscopy and Image Processing Facilities
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 DRESDEN
Germany

+49 (0)15114966933 (German Mobile)
+49  (0)351 210 2627 (Work phone at MPI-CBG)
+49  (0)351 210 1078 (Fax MPI-CBG LMF)

http://www.bioimagexd.net 	BioImageXD
http://pacific.mpi-cbg.de Fiji 	Fiji is just ImageJ - Batteries Included
http://www.chalkie.org.uk