CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2009

Sender:
From:
Alessandro Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 May 2009 04:03:56 -0500
Dear Kathryn,
     there is no reason not to use a wide-field system for polarization
anisotropy imaging. I am trying to address some of your concerns:

- reflected light could keep its polarization at a large extent, but fluorescence
cannot. Therefore, with the use of one photon excitation, the maximum
anisotropy one can measure is 0.4 not 1, i.e. you will always detect signal
- the usefulness of polarization anisotropy is expressed when you make a
ratiometric measurement; if you just measure the light passing through an
orthogonal analyzer one can never know if the fluorophore is at higher
concentrations or if more depolarized. If this was done on a plate reader, I
could infer they were using an homogeneous assay where fluorophore
concentration is fixed
- multi-photon systems provide an advantage in anisotropy imaging because
the fluorescence emitted by your sample can exhibit much higher anisotropies
in absence of rotation and energy transfer (0.57 vs 0.4). Furthermore, a multi-
photon system provide pulsed excitation and permits to perform time-resolved
anisotropy. TR-FAIM allows for more information to be acquired and higher
dynamic range
- I do not have references at hand for wide-field systems, although you may
find information looking for papers by Axelrod, Jovin, Gerritsen groups or
checking Lakowicz's book; however, the wide-field system I remember was
published by Rizzo and Piston on Biophys J
(http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1305173). If you
need more information, I could send you an unpublished work where I describe
a setup for anisotropy.
For a wide-field system you may use a dual-view which splits the two
orthogonally polarized images on the CCD camera and allow one to perform
polarization anisotropy with a single detector

I hope this is enough for now,

Best regards,

Alessandro Esposito
Laser Analytics Group, Cambridge University
www.quantitative-microscopy.org
www.wikiscope.org