MOU-RBA Archives

May 2009

Date:
Thu, 7 May 2009 15:47:48 -0600
I relocated the female/young Surf Scoter ~200+ feet off of the Eastern shore
of Lake Calhoun. It was across from the W. Lake Calhoun Pkwy and W 32nd St
intersection. It was closely associating with a female Red-breasted
Merganser. It seemed quite alert but only dove once when I was there. I got
9 pictures of it on my cell phone, but I believe only the bird's shape
profile can be referenced in documentation. I arrived at 4pm and it was
still there when I left at 4:15pm. I think that you could see it with
binoculars, although I would recommend a spotting scope to examine its
beautiful subtleties.

On another less interesting note, today there was 1 singing N. Parula and a
nesting Pine Siskin at the MN Landscape Arboretum (Chanhassen, Carver Co.)

Thanks for reporting this bird, Tom. I feel very fortunate to have birders
like you.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Golden Valley, Hennepin Co.