MOU-RBA Archives

May 2009

From:
Randy Frederickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Frederickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 08:03:20 -0600
Yet another piping plover was seen Saturday 5/10 at the Olson Lake WPA in SW
Kandiyohi county.  This bird was different from the two seen last weekend,
as it had a thick, full chest band.  Other birds of interest on Saturday
included 3 avocets, 32 willets, one hudsonian godwit, 3 trumpeter swans.
Shorebird numbers are down significantly from a week ago, but a pestering
peregrine falcon may be part of the reason.

For anyone wanting to see a particular species at this location, be advised
the turn-over rate is very high, with most birds staying only a day.
Whereas this is consistent with some species, others usually linger.

Also the wetland near Pennock that had been holding some good shorebirds is
completely dry; only a few peeps present.

Unlike what others have been reporting from E and SE MN, Saturday was
incredibly birdless here for passerines.  I had a group of students at
Sibley State Park Saturday morning and it took almost two hours to find a
single species of warbler.  In 4 hours of birding on Saturday, I found only
4 species of warblers, 2 of those being represented by a single individual.

Happy Mother's Day to all you mom's out there!

Randy Frederickson
Willmar