MOU-RBA Archives

May 2009

From:
Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 19:22:46 -0600
This evening I checked out the WMA one mile north of the town of
Nicollet on the east side of Hwy. 111 for shorebirds. From a distance
the water level looked too high to be conducive to attracting
shorebirds, but on closer inspection I found several areas exhibiting
either mudflats or very shallow water. The best spot was at the pond
farthest north; from the gravel parking lot, hike the trail east to
where it T's at the lake, then go left (north) to the second large
pond. If you go right at the T (south) there are also some nice areas
for shorebirds. Present were:

-3 Hudsonian Godwits
-10 Stilt Sandpipers (all in alternate plumage)
-16 Short-billed Dowitchers
-8 White-rumped Sandpipers
-12 Dunlins
-10 Wilson's Phalaropes
-several Lesser Yellowlegs
-several Least Sandpipers

At the Nicollet sewage ponds south of the town on the east side of CR
23, the only shorebirds of interest were 4 Baird's Sandpipers. There
was also a lone Eared Grebe in the northernmost pond.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County