MOU-RBA Archives

May 2009

From:
Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 09:03:26 -0600
the bird was viewed from the overlook by the cemetery on the west end  of
Lake Byllessby.  From the town of  Randolf (Hwy 56 and CR88) go east to the
second railroad crossing.  Park your car by the cemetery and follow the
trail east a few yards to overlook the sand flats.  Also check from the
first railroad crossing, which is part of the county park.  There is room at
this second location for a car or two between the tracks and the gate,
otherwise park before the crossing.  Please, do not block access to the gate
or the track to the east.  Head through the gate and follow the trail to the
right, avoiding climbing down the steep hill to the left.  There are
additional trails through the brush to additional viewing locations further
upstream.  All of the lake shore upstream from the cemetery is county park,
almost until you get to Hwy 56.  Before the county obtained the old farm (at
the first railroad crossing) the cemetery overlook was the only place to
view the sand flats, but now that the park has been expanded, it is less
often used.

Note: This may be an unproductive chase, as the bird has been around for a
few days with most people not finding it.   I did see the group of
shorebirds take off as darkness increased.  Also note that the water level
at Lake Byllesby is being raised now to the summer recreational levels and
the sand bars are shrinking.  Low river flow is slowing the filling of the
lake.