MOU-RBA Archives

June 2009

From:
Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:48:27 -0600
This morning when I arrived the juvenile Brown Pelican was flying low
over the eastern side of German Lake. In flight it was best viewed
from the north boat access. I was only able to view it for a few
seconds until it disappeared due to distance and heat waves. John
Hockema showed up, and shortly after he arrived a local fisherman
showed up with a pontoon and offered to take us out to see the bird,
free of charge. We boated to the southern side of the lake behind the
island, where we found the bird sitting on a buoy. If it is perched
behind the island on the south side, there is no where to view it from
land, and thus the only way to see it would be from a boat. There have
been a lot of fisherman on the lake today, and so your bets of
hitching a boat ride are probably pretty good, although I can't
guarantee that it'll be free.

I have uploaded a photo of the bird to the "Recently Seen" webpage on
the MOU website. This is either a second, third, or fourth state
record, as there were two reports of Brown Pelicans several weeks ago
near Alexandria.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County