MOU-RBA Archives

June 2009

From:
Jim Mattsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Mattsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:41:48 -0600
June 24, 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Gary, MN, rest stop

Drew Smith and I spent several hours at this site and found a total of 5 Eastern Wood-pewees, but no Westerns. Of these, 4 were vocal and seen well by both of us using spotting scopes at close range. Each of the four were quite similarly marked, ie. pale orange-yellow lower mandibles w/ perhaps a very small dark area at tip, similarly-sized and contrasting wing bars, overall pale underparts with pale gray broken vest with hint of yellow tinge. Undertail coverts white w/ no duskiness noted. Three of these gave plaintive Pee-a-wee songs only, while one gave only a BreeAA call, also plaintive and clear with no hoarse quality. A non-vocal, 5th individual (could possibily be one of the previous individuals) was seen by Drew and determined to be an Eastern based upon similar physical attributes described for the others.

The weather was quite calm and hearing conditions were excellent. Pewee vocalizations were very sporadic and less than we expected considering the conditions. We could confirm no songs or call notes suggestive of Western Wood-pewee.

Jim Mattsson
Eagan