MOU-RBA Archives

June 2009

Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:50:49 -0600
Linda Whyte, Jed Askari, Ben Wilson and I hiked through the Falls Creek SNA in Washington County. We relocated at least two (possibly another male, making it three) Louisiana Waterthrushes on the Falls Creek. This is the same area that Linda Sparling saw one on June 7th, although one has been there since May 18 (found by Diana Doyle and Susan Plankis.) The birds were elusive, but I was able to get a few good looks at two birds while the other birders got glimpses. The waterthrushes were moving up and down the stream, and at times was on the SNA property, but much time was spent on private property.

The Acadian Flycatcher was heard singing a few times near the creek; this was on private property.

Other cool birds seen/heard include at least two Wood Thrushes, Scarlet Tanager, 3 Ovenbirds, Black-and-white Warbler, pair of soaring Red-shouldered Hawks, and two Pine Warblers (one was singing consistently, and a female took a bath in the creek.)

It is a beautiful area to hike. For those interested in the waterthrushes and the other birds we saw, here are some directions: Drive N on 95 and you'll see a little sign on the right side that says "Nature Area". There will be a small dirt parking lot there. If you go a little bit further along 95, you'll see another dirt pull-out, smaller. But this is close to the path along the creek. Park here and walk into a tiny opening in the conifers to the east of the lot--that's the trailhead and it will open up into a good path within a few yards. Walk the path closest along the creek.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Golden Valley, Hennepin Co.