CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2009

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:52:19 -0400
7bit
From:
Dale Callaham <[log in to unmask]>
Dan,

First, I completely agree with the open standards rant. The mandate
should even flow from the government level, not allowing funding for
devices and systems that use proprietary formats, etc.

Now, you say in #1 that archiving data is a user responsibility (with
which I agree), but then, in #5, that you are required by law to archive
all data generated. Someone from Princeton said they are required to
archive data for 7 years. I'm just curious. I can see a research
institution or granting agency mandating the archiving of data, but
would that be the responsibility of the PI to see that the data is
archived? If they have their own instruments that would be the case. As
you say we have enough to do (as underfunded facilities) providing the
facilities for the imaging. Perhaps #5 was in reference to methods for
archiving by the PI?

Dale