MOU-RBA Archives

July 2009

From:
Julian Sellers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julian Sellers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:18:21 -0600
I found the Summer Tanager singing this morning at the same time and place
described by Joel Claus below.  I recorded the song, and loaded an excerpt
into the Audio Gallery on the MOU web site.  In more than an hour of
searching for the bird, which was singing almost constantly in the nearby
tree tops, I was only able to get a brief glimpse of it as it flew out of a
tree.  For much of that time, Larry and Yoli Sirvio joined me in the futile
attempt to see the bird.  It moved frequently over a pretty wide area.  At
10:00, it went silent, and I didn't hear it again before I left at 10:30.

I have to say that if I had just been walking along that trail without prior
knowledge of the Summer Tanager's occurrence there, I might well have
assumed that the song was that of an American Robin.  The voices and song
patterns of those two species are very, very similar (but different).  And
there's not a lot of difference between Summer and Scarlet Tanager songs.

A tip of the birding cap to Liz Harper for discovering this bird.

Julian
St. Paul