]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CJ-ONLINE Home

CJ-ONLINE  September 2009

CJ-ONLINE September 2009

CJ Online: Call for 'field-testers', first year Greek

Classical Journal On-Line <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:30:50 -0500

This email represents a request for 'field-testers' to try out a new
handbook intended for supplemental use in first-year Greek courses.

With combined experience of over a half-century teaching Attic Greek, we
have encountered a growing problem in the college classroom. The problem
rests not with the primers themselves, but with their presentation of
formal grammar -- they simply presume too much knowledge of English
grammar. A generation ago, most students of Greek came to Athens by way of
Rome. Now that is not the case; few college students have studied Latin
extensively before they approach Greek.

Our handbook requires very little prior knowledge of English grammar and
essentially no knowledge of Latin. It surveys common American English usage
of all parts of speech and syntax, with passing nods to the history of
English and American slang. In each section, we ‘reacquaint’ students
with their own language and then introduce the Attic Greek counterparts
with clear and copious examples.

The handbook (118 pages of text) is not a Greek primer as such, but is
intended as a complement to a (any) primer. We are searching for
individuals willing to try the book out in the classroom, identify
strengths and deficiencies, and help us identify any errors of content and
format. If interested, please contact Peter Corrigan at Kalamazoo College

You may remove yourself from the CJ-Online listserv by sending an email to:
Leave the subject line blank, and in the first line of the message write:
UNSUBSCRIBE CJ-Online