]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  September 2009

MOU-RBA September 2009

[mou-net] Buff-breasted Sandpipers ~ St. Louis County

Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>

Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Sep 2009 20:29:13 -0600

This morning Susan Schumacher and I enjoyed several hours of birding on Park Point and at 40th Ave West Erie Pier in Duluth St. Louis County.  The weather was warm, sunny and calm the Lake was like glass with very little bird activity over or on it while we were there.

On the Lake side beach near Sky Harbor Airport there were 4 Buff-breasted Sandpipers moving at a quick pace foraging in and out of the short grass sandy edges.  In a small mixed flock moving closer to the lake edges were 4 Semipalmated Plovers, Sanderlings, Semipalmated Sandpipers, and Baird's.  A Merlin was ineffective at bombarding the shorbirds and scattered them out over the lake in hot pursuit then gave up and returned to perch in the shade of a tree over the boardwalk.

At 40th Ave West Erie Pier in the SW side of the pond seen from the top of the levee were still 2 juvenile Long-billed Dowitchers, 1 American Golden Plover, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, and several Least Sandpipers.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Co.