]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  September 2009

MOU-RBA September 2009

[mou-net] Red-necked Phalaropes/Grant Co.

Dan & Sandy Thimgan <[log in to unmask]>

Dan & Sandy Thimgan <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:36:35 -0600

Here are a few notable weekend birds from Grant/Douglas/Otter Tail
counties:
4 Red-necked Phalaropes were seen at Ashby Sewage Ponds (scope
required); the ponds are closed, but you can gaze longingly over the
padlocked gates. A short distance away where the stream leaves
Pelican Lake, we spotted a bird nonchalantly standing knee-deep in
the flowing water. An Egret, Heron? Nope, an adult Cooper's Hawk
calmly preening, using the stream as a bird bath.

Five miles away at Lake Christina in Douglas county the American
Coots are gathering. We roughly (and probably, conservatively)
estimated 20.000 coots on the lake. Among the coots were a pair of
Western Grebes still carrying three young ones on their backs. At the
sand and gravel pits on the west side of Lake Christina about a dozen
Turkey Vultures calmly loafed and returned our stares, allowing us to
reflect upon our mortality.

Observers: Dan & Sandy Thimgan, Jeff Schultz, Tom Egeberg

--Dan
--
Thimgans
Battle Lake MN