MOU-RBA Archives

October 2009

From:
Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 07:09:48 -0600
Hey birders,

I finally had a chance to get out on Sunday and see the pair of Whooping Cranes that have been lounging north of Waseca.  To get to this location, take Hwy 13 north from Waseca for about 3 miles.  Turn east on 390th Ave and go about 2.5 miles.  The birds have been foraging on the north side of the road.  Both birds are banded and I have been told they are part of the experimental population from Wisconsin.  Regardless, they were worth the drive over and they were foraging right next to the road so the kids got to see them clearly too.

As I returned on 390th Ave to Hwy 13, I found a juvenile Ross' Goose in with a flock of Cackling Geese about 1 mile east of the crane location.  The birds were foraging in a field on the south side of the road.  I did not see this flock coming from the west due to vegetation patterns.  The bird was still present when I left at 5:30pm.

Other notes: Lots of goldfinches moving and hitting the feeding station.  This morning I heard several in the pre-dawn hours--a species I've never heard at night before.  A Nashville Warbler was still foraging in my flower garden this morning.

Happy birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN