]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  October 2009

MOU-RBA October 2009

[mou-net] White-winged Dove, Short-eared Owl, Nelson's Sparrow at 40th Ave West / Erie Pier, Duluth, 10/8/09

Peder Svingen <[log in to unmask]>

Peder Svingen <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Oct 2009 19:08:15 -0600

Extensive searching throughout the day by multiple parties failed to
refind the White-winged Dove at the 40th Ave West/Erie Pier area in
Duluth, including an unsuccessful search by yours truly between 8:30
and 9:30 AM, but at 5:35 PM this afternoon (Thursday, 8 October) the
dove was seen in flight by Barb and Denny Martin and myself. We
watched it fly into a stand of aspen and willows bordering a small
pond at the northwest corner of the impoundment, and a few minutes
later we found it perched just above eye level near the trunk of a 3
inch dbh aspen. The bird was still in this location when we left at
6:00 PM.

Other noteworthy sightings at the 40th Ave West/Erie Pier area today
include a Short-eared Owl found by Kim Eckert and the Martins, and a
stunning adult Nelson's Sparrow that flushed from a grassy area on the
west side of the impoundment and perched in full sun, where I admired
it for two minutes early this morning.

Thirteen species of Emberizids were seen at this location today, and a
14th species -- Chipping Sparrow -- was found at Park Point. No one
reported Le Conte's Sparrow or Smith's Longspur, both of which were
seen here 10/4/2009. Below is a composite list of the highest count
for each species seen at the 40th Ave West/Erie Pier area today.

Peder Svingen
Duluth, MN

Begin forwarded message: