MOU-RBA Archives

November 2009

From:
David Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 12:28:51 -0700
Over the past weekend, Pam and Lars Benson and I stayed in a cabin
overlooking Chicago Bay in Hovland. We didn't spend a lot of time birding,
but we did see a few North Shore fall delicacies:

On Saturday, a Pacific Loon (with chin strap) was in Chicago Bay. We watched
it for about ten minutes, and then did not see it again either Saturday or
Sunday. No cell phone coverage until late Sunday, so no way to pass along
the news.

Also in Chicago Bay, five White-winged Scoters, present both days.
Two Black Scoters at Paradise Beach on Sunday.
A meadowlark (presumed Western) along the entrance road to Taconite Harbor
on Sunday.
An Eastern Phoebe near the outhouse along the trail to the waterfall at
Grand Portage State Park (note: closed for construction week days--muddy
parking on weekends).
Two Boreal Chickadees in the picnic parking area at Judge Magney State Park.
Both Red and White-winged Crossbills at several locations.
Several small groups of redpolls.
Only a few Snow Buntings, in town at Grand Portage.
There were so many Red-breasted Nuthatches at every place we stopped that I
think they must have been moving down the shore, and not just local birds.

My apologies for not posting earlier.

The Chicago Bay Marketplace in Hovland is a relatively new
store/bakery/pizzeria. They have great pizza and baked stuff, as well as
beer and wine. Upper side of Hwy 61.

Dave Benson
Duluth