MOU-RBA Archives

November 2009

From:
Cameron Rutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cameron Rutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:03:09 -0700
Yesterday (11/8), for our last survey of fall 2009 - out of Hovland -
Heidi Seeland was kept company by a hunting Northern Hawk Owl.  The
bird was present for much of the day, still being seen up until she
left (~845 - 1430).  More specifically, this location was off the
Arrowhead Trail, in a clear-cut on the left, just past Jackson Lake
Road.

From my vantage point, off of nearby Moose Valley Road, I was able to
see a distant dark-mantled gull.  Passing eagles put it up multiple
times along with a group of Herring Gulls (HERG), and despite being
approximately 1.5 miles away, it looked to be an adult-type Great
Black-backed Gull (larger and broader-winged than the circling HERGs,
with a very dark mantle/upperwings).  Needless to say, however, I
could not make out the specifics to be absolutely certain of the
identification.  Also, among other distant waterbirds, I could see a
single male Long-tailed Duck at similar range.

Aside from those, a nice finch flight kept things interesting, until
it shut off at 1230:

Pine Grosbeak - 57
Red Crossbill - 22
White-winged Crossbill - 351
Common Redpoll - 135+

Strangely, while essentially all other finches were southbound, every
single one of the Pine Grosbeaks was seen heading up the shore (!?).
This was my first triple-digit day for both White-winged Crossbill and
Common Redpoll.

   Good Birding,
      Cameron Rutt
      Duluth,