MOU-RBA Archives

November 2009

From:
Bill Tefft <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Tefft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:50:28 -0700
On Thanksgiving Day, I thought I would start early and work my way up from
Mill Lacs Lake through Aitkin to Grand Rapids for family, football and
food.  Although I saw lots of common mergansers, common goldeneyes, bald
eagles, Bonaparte's gulls, ring-billed gulls and a few northern tree
sparrows and snow buntings, I didn't see any loons along the west side of
the lake.  North of Aitkin I searched 169 and adjoining roads for the
afore-reported snowy owl with no success.  However, I did see a rough-legged
hawk and then was surprised on the east side of the Aitkin WMA along CR 56
to see approximately 1500 tundra swans located mostly in ponds on the north
side of the road.  There were also several mallards and a northern pintail.

Bill Tefft