Re: [mou-net] Black Guillemot

Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Nov 2009 03:27:15 -0700

I noticed a couple of interesting things when viewing the photos of the
Black Guillemot that were taken by Erik Bruhnke around 11:30 AM on the 8th.

First, they showed the birds eyes to be closed.  When we viewed the bird
early in the morning on the 8th (around sunrise but with very adequate
lighting) the eyes were at least half to two thirds open (more like Kim's
photo that is posted on MOU Recently Seen).  There were also some who
noticed what appeared to be some occasional movement of the eyelids.

Second, the photos show the angle of the bird's body/bill to be tipped
forward making the bill less than parallel to the water (making it point
more down toward the water).  Early in the morning the bill appeared to me
to be at least parallel or even slightly elevated.

The differences may be stages of death or progression through rigor.

Congratulations to Kim's MBW group for finding and reporting the bird and to
Mike and others for updates.  I had a very enjoyable (long) day of birding
on the north shore and saw lots of great birds.

Bob Ekblad
Olmsted County in SE Minnesota
http://www.Birding-Minnesota.com