MOU-RBA Archives

November 2009

From:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:27:59 -0700
Hi everyone,

  As one of the parties who viewed the guillemot after dark, I wanted to clear up the misconception that flashlights or spotlights were used. To my knowledge, no one used a light other than the headlamps of their vehicles. In our case, we parked at the top of the long boatramp and kept our distance, searching with our scopes, keeping in mind not to disturb or alarm the bird. I assume others did the same. Before dawn on Sunday, we were mistakenly, and rudely, accused of scaring the bird away, even though others had seen it long after we did, and the bird hadn't left the area anyway. Hearing from all the others who had seen the bird with their lights, the bird was alive and moving around, and at no time did the bird seem agitated or disturbed. From all accounts, the bird was bothered more by the activity of two beavers in the bay.

  I want to thank Mike Hendrickson for all the updates and great information on the guillemot, and especially for relocating it on Sunday morning! You rule Mike!

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey

Faribault,MN

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/