MOU-RBA Archives

December 2009

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Sarah Glesner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:26:43 -0700
Katie Brey and I did a quick loop up Cty Rd. 2 out of Two Harbors and down
Stony River Forest Rd this morning between 7:45 am and 12:00 pm.

On our way north up Cty Rd 2, we spotted a Northern Hawk Owl 1.9 miles south
of Forest Route 824 (not so much a road as a glorified trail). The owl was
perched way out in the middle of a bog and only remained visible for a few
minutes before taking off into the woods.

We were fortunate enough to spot two more Hawk Owls on the Stony River
Forest Rd. The first owl was perched atop a tree about 8.2 miles north of
the Whyte Rd. This bird showed no signs of leaving and we were able to
quietly observe it for 10 minutes or so. The next owl was spotted by Katie
2.2 miles north of Whyte Rd., also perched right next to the road. Both of
these owls were seen between 10:30am-11:00 am.

Other highlights of our morning included:
16 Pine Grosbeaks
73 Common Redpolls
1 Pileated Woodpecker
1 Bald Eagle