Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  December 2009

MOU-RBA December 2009

[mou-net] Golden Eagle Survey

joan schnabel/jeff falk <[log in to unmask]>

joan schnabel/jeff falk <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:45:26 -0700

The 6th annual Golden Eagle Survey is set for Saturday January 16th,
2010 and again we welcome and encourage anyone who would like to
participate.  Last year there were 100 observers on 40 routes.  A
total of 70 Golden Eagles were seen on count day, with an additional
18 on count week for a grand total of 88 Golden Eagles.   You can run
one of our established routes on your own or you are welcome to ride
along with some of us.  If you think you have good habitat for Goldens
near where you live,  you may run a route on your own "territory."
The purpose of the count is to document the number of Golden Eagles
wintering in WI, Mn and IA, but also to give folks a chance to see
these birds.  We also count all the raptors we see, so if you are
looking to improve your general raptor ID, here's a good
opportunity.   To help with the sometimes tricky ID of immature Balds
vs. Goldens, Scott Mehus of the NEC will be holding 3 class/field trip
sessions, These will start with some ID basics and conclude with a
field trip to some of the local wintering sites.  Last year  both
field trips were rewarded with good sightings of Golden Eagles.
Dates and times for the classes are  Saturday Dec 12 at 1:30,
Saturday Dec 19 at 1:30 and Tuesday Jan. 5 at 1:30.    These classes
start from the National Eagle Center in Wabasha MN.  (note  survey
routes do NOT start from the center).   Classes are free and open to
everyone,  even if you are not planning on participating  in the
survey.   If interested in classes or joining us on the survey,
please back channel me or email  Scott  Mehus at [log in to unmask]
.    Also if you see Golden eagles over the winter, we would
appreciate an email, even if its not count week.   On a related note,
"Whitey" the Golden  Eagle outfitted with a transmitter last year  has
returned from his summer trip beyond  the arctic circle to Nunavut,
and is now back in Trempealeau Wi  close to where he was  trapped last
year (round trip  4,132 miles.)  For more info on all of the above,
check out  NEC web site at nationaleaglecenter.org.     Joan
Schnabel,    Fountain City W,   I for the National Eagle Center.