Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  December 2009

MOU-RBA December 2009

[mou-net] Northern Hawk Owl Map Update

Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>

Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Dec 2009 19:23:14 -0700

Well I am sure after Christmas birders will be making trips to view winter birds either in Aitkin County, St. Louis and Lake Counties.

So far 40 Northern Hawk Owls have been reported this late fall - winter season!!  Aitkin County is reporting good number of Hawk Owls and it look like the 3-4 Northern Hawk Owls are hanging around quite a bit near the intersection of CR 5 and CR 18 just north of Palisade.  Lake County has good number of Hawk Owls too especially along Forest Rd 11 and Stoney River Rd.  Take Fr 11 by driving along the north shore on Hwy 61 to Silver Bay and exit off Hwy. 61 into Silver Bay on the main road ( Penn Blvd) and you will come to the intersection of the Lax Lake Rd and then turn right ( east ) and go about a mile and then turn left on FR 11.  There has been 2 Northern Hawk Owls on FR 11 before the Stoney River Rd and also there has been another 2 Northern Hawk Owls on the Stoney River Rd up near the intersection of Hwy 1 near the bridge that crosses over a small creek. Sax Zim Bog has only two Hawk Owls that I know of.  One was seen during last Monday's CBC and
 that was near the intersection of CR 7 and CR 133.  The other Northern Hawk Owl was just south of the Malmberg Sod Farms on CR 7 and this owl was seen about a week ago by a birder from Hibbing.

Great Gray Owls ( 1-2 owls ) have been reported to me a week ago on the McDavitt Rd at dusk in the Sax-Zim Bog just 45 minutes NW of Duluth.
Great Gray Owls ( 2) are being seen pretty consistently as Great Gray Owls go in Aitkin Co along Cr 18 ( North of Palisade ) and 320th Place.  At this corner 320th is on the north side and a snowmobile trail is on the south side.
Great Gray Owls ( 1) was seen in Lake County on Forest Rd 11 ( I did not get mileage ) but it was between the intersection of Lax Lake Rd and Stoney River Rd and I also got a report a Great Gray Owl was seen along the Stoney River Rd as well but again no mileage. These owls were seen on Dec 19th. These same owls were reported to me by another out of state birder on Dec 12th. and again no mileage was taken.  So its worth exploring this road for Great Gray Owls.

* Also remember the Stoney River Rd is a logging road and its not maintain by the Lake County Hwy folks and this road can be snowed in till its plowed out so be careful.
* Forest Rd 11 is a paved 2 lane forest road and its maintain and plowed the day after a snow fall.  This is the main link that connects Silver Bay to east end range towns.

Good Birding

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/