WEBSTANDARDS Archives

December 2009

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Zachary Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:53:45 -0600
Huh, you sure are giving Google a lot of credit!  Nothing wrong with
that I suppose.

Me... I'm skeptical.  Email revolutionized communication and became a
standard way for people to interact on the internet, but there's a
thousand different email applications, both desktop and web based.
There's even the divide between plain text and HTML emails.

The web browser may be a better example of a revolutionary
communications platform that (despite the variety of choices available
and the differences between them) comes close to presenting a "standard
interface through which the majority of people interact" with the internet.

Wave *may* just prove to be the standard protocol for a revolutionized
internet communication (still skeptical) but I just don't see everybody
interacting with the internet through some sort of Google-made Wave
Browser.  Google has at least been smart enough to open up the protocol,
which may make a future where there are several competing Wave browsers
on the market just like web browsers now.  Perhaps you weren't
suggesting anything more than that, Patrick.

If Wave proves to be nothing more than another web application that you
interact with in your web browser, then I don't really see it being
*the* ubiquitous feature of post-Web 2.0.  I think it'll just be one of
many things we use.  Well... if we use it at all.  Not all of Google's
inventions are successful.  And so far, the few times where I thought to
myself "Ooh! I could use a Wave for this!" I've been really disappointed
with the User Experience.

Ok, I'll give Google some credit, too: They must be doing something
right if we're even having this conversation.

Zach

--
Zachary Johnson * Web Manager