MOU-RBA Archives

January 2010

From:
Jim Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:59:47 -0700
Hello Birders,
Venturing out for a little New Year's birding was well worth it today.

Point Douglas Park in MN & Prescott, Wisconsin yielded:

*Harlequin Duck* -1 male -just stunning.  Moved over to Point Douglas about
4pm.
*Long-tailed* *Duck*-2 female/juveniles. Possible 3rd bird. Tough to sort
out in the sun with lots of feeding activity.
*Lesser Scaup* -female
*Ring-necked ducks*- pair
*Am. Coots* -just a few
*Trumpeter Swans* -about a dozen (I usually don't count birds unless I'm on
a CBC!)
*Common Mergansers* - several pairs
*Lesser & Common Canada Geese* -didn't pick out any cackling
*Common Goldeneye* - most numerous species there today by far. Their wing
sound is one of my favorites.
*Ring-billed gulls* - just a few
*Mallards* - several pairs
1 *possible Black duck* -did not cooperate for me.

The birds were rather mobile and on both sides of the river this afternoon.
The extra cold weather will likely be reducing the amount of open water
quickly and limiting the area in which the birds will be visible.

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan
Saint Paul's Westside
--
"Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient
premises." - Samuel Butler

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape
finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius
(121-180)