Spent yesterday morning in Aitkin County, covering Kestrel Avenue, Palisade,
CR 5, CR 18 and CR 1.
* 8 Sharp-tailed Grouse on Kestrel Avenue, three one mile south of Tamarack,
five about three miles north (farmer's field, west side of road).
* 5 Pine Grosbeaks feeding on grit on Kestrel Avenue, only grosbeaks of the
day (missed Evenings at the Risen's feeders).
* 4 gorgeous Gray Jays on CR 18/snowmobile trail, calling (some bizarre
vocalizations), 10 feet away (by accident) on one occasion.
* WW Crossbills and Common Redpolls in different locations, many flyovers.
33 Snow Buntings on CR 1.
* The highlist was a gorgeous Great Gray Owl on CR 18, .5 mile west of
Pietz's road, flying cross the road, roosting for a time. Suprisingly (with
the amount of time I spend on 18), this was my first in 13 months.
Well worth the cold (16 below at one point) and drive. Good birding to all!
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties
Join or Leave mou-net:http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mou-net