MOU-RBA Archives

February 2010

From:
Bruce Fall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Fall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:23:15 -0700
Today (6 Feb.) there were two adult male Barrow's Goldeneyes in the
Mississippi River at the far east end of Lake Pepin (Wabasha Co.).
One is probably the same male I reported here on 16 January, but the
other was new. They remained about 1/2 mile apart. These plus the
first-year male also found on 16 Jan. make a total of at least three
different BAGO in this 1/2-mile stretch of river in the past 3 weeks.
Earlier in the morning I found an adult Mute Swan in the open water
northwest of the road to Lock and Dam #3 (Prairie Island, Goodhue
Co.). It was associating with 10 Trumpeter Swans. I watched it take
off, circle, and then land again after a strong 30-sec. flight; I
presume it is wild. In late afternoon, the adult male Harlequin Duck
was standing on the ice at Pt. Douglas Park (Washington Co.), near
Prescott, WI.

Bruce A. Fall, Minneapolis