MOU-RBA Archives

April 2010

From:
John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:21:24 -0600
A male Cinnamon Teal was in a flooded corn field southeast of Norwood-Young America along Salem Ave. this morning.    The quickest way to get here is to take Hwy 212 west until you get to Salem Ave and turn south.       This field is just north of a small dairy farm that is on a small hill.   The Cinnamon Teal was associating with a male Blue-winged Teal and a 2nd female teal which is probably a Blue-winged, but it may have been a Cinnamon.   I guess I'll mention this now.   2 weeks ago I saw a very quick/low confidence view of a male Cinnamon Teal on Assumption Lake.   I didn't report it, since it I only saw it for a few seconds from a distance before he permanently went behind reeds.

In a flooded field right at the corner of Hwy 212 and Salem Ave were some Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs.   Further south of the dairy farm along Salem AVe are more flooded fields on either side of the road.   Around 90 Bonaparte's Gull were on these fields.  Most were on the west side of the road while there were more Ring-billed on the east side, but they were going back and forth.   The Bonaparte's provided great looks at younger birds and 1 that had a partial hood not fully grown in yet.   Also in these fields were Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs.   I found some Wilson's Snipe in a field along 114th St but didn't find any other shorebird species this morning besides Killdeer.   There was a pair of Common Loon at Carver Park early this morning and a 2nd pair on Lake Waconia.   The only new migrants at Carver Park were 4 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers.  There were more White-throated Sparrows at the park, though.   Also, is there anybody that keeps track of the number of nesting Great Egret/Great Blue Heron/Cormorant on the island on Lake Waconia?   If there is, I'm curious about the numbers of nests over the years and whether the population of breeding birds on the island is growing.

John